An attempt to be humorous and logical about the Buffalo Sports Scene.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Fire Howard Simon




So I decide hey lets listen to morning sports radio today. I don't do it much anymore, since it hurt my brain. I listen to NPR all morning, it never hurts my brain or makes me angry. It informs me and my brain feels great because I feel I learned something. But with the Howard Simon show, I feel dumber every time for listening to it, because it plays down to an audience. Easy topics that anyone can talk about, no real analysis of games. Its only a station about sports why cover it in depth? I know when I make this decision I have the best intentions. Then by 10am my brain hates me, and things just go to crap.

Why you ask did I tune in? Well the Bills won and the Sabres won, I missed the Sabres game and the Bills game I watched but paid more attention to the girlfriend of GCFB as she was going through a travel brochure in deciding what trip to buy her mom. Did I also say she brought up cheese, sausage and crackers to snack on during the game. She really is the best and don't know what I did to get someone like her. Plus her hatred for JP Losman is funny. So I'm like maybe I missed stuff. What did I get?

Little bits to be funny, round about talk of the game, callers who I swear should be screened for simple intelligence tests and the Bulldog to give some analysis of the game. I came to the conclusion that neither Howard Simon nor Jeremy White watched the game, instead just watched highlights and read the paper. Instead of breaking down the game bit by bit, he gets off on rants about instant replay and whats not re viewable and the video board at FedEx Field telling the fans when to be quiet and get loud. His theory then is that Redskins fans are lame since they have to be told when to do something. This happens everywhere Howard, time to get out of the house.

Lets see instant replay is terrible because they can't review things, that aren't re viewable. And having some Redskin employee put words on a screen, makes Redskins fans stupid. They are almost boiler plate topics when you don't have anything to talk about. Hey Howard, TALK ABOUT THE GAME! BREAK THE GAME DOWN BY QUARTERS! Ive heard more about that Larry Triplett interception on national blogs then I did in 2 and half hours of the morning show.

WGR enough with playing down to the audience and raise it up, bring in intelligent sports conversation. It does exist. It will be tough, but it will be rewarding. First step bring in hungry radio guys who want to excel, not guys stuck in a comfortable position. Then advertise to that smart audience. The reason that blogs are coming out of everywhere is because radio is impossible to take anymore.

Its time for a change and the time is now!

1 comment:

Jessica K said...

NPR makes brains happy!

I will say, though, the sports shows Ken watches on ESPN on Sundays are actually pretty interesting. And smart. I guess you can't watch TV on the job though ...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Buffalo, NY, United States
A Stay at home dad, who has more hot takes then your average stay at home dad.

tracker